The primary objective is to provide and disseminate opportune information about health events/diseases in order to guide the decision making process of the Ministry of Health in the support of the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of its strategic plan.
Specifically, this program seeks to:
- Facilitate technically the generation of data for conversion into Epidemiological Information
- Adopt efficient measures of control through the identification and knowledge of the factors that determine the occurrence of an outbreak
- Identify factors that can condition the appearance of future outbreaks for opportune intervention
- Evaluate the application of efficient measures of control that are cost effective and are acceptable by the population
- Identify the individuals exposed to risk and/or risk factors
- Identify geographic areas that maybe endemic or epidemic
- Disseminate Epidemiological Information to the local, regional and national levels and also to other persons and institutions
- Promote epidemiological investigations about specific health problems
The Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health, is responsible for Epidemiological Surveillance which corresponds to a process of continuous evaluation of the health situation in human beings based on the compilation, analysis and interpretation of information converting this into a fundamental strategic system for decision-making, such as for the necessary and opportune prevention and control, that is, Information for Action. This information disseminated by the surveillance system can also be used for immediate public health action, program planning and evaluation, and formulating research hypotheses.
- Epidemiological Surveillance: This concept involves a group of activities that permits the collection of indispensable and opportune information at a given moment in relation to the changes in the phenomenon health-disease in a given population for decision-making.
- Outbreak Investigation: A routine communicable disease surveillance system is to detect cases and the occurrence of a health event in excess of normal expectancy.
- Epidemiological Investigations: a fundamental tool to improve knowledge about the etiology and effects of the health problems, opportunities for prevention, cost and effectiveness of therapeutic strategies and diagnosis and also the health status and vulnerability of the population.